Google+

The Chosen Series -- YA Book Reviews

Disclosure: Jeff Altabef & Novel Publicity sent me a copy of this book free of charge in return for an honest review. All opinions in my review are my own and I did not receive any other compensation. As always I am providing links to the book for your convenience.

Back in July I introduced you to The Chosen Series by Jeff Altabef and Erynn Altabef with the first book, Wind Catcher. This book thrust me into reviewing young adult books and I love it!! Now I fell in love with the series in the first book. It is an amazing series with such well developed characters. While waiting for the second book in the series to come out, Jeff and Erynn wrote a short book called Second Chances. You can get a FREE digital copy of this book by signing up for Jeff's newsletter!!
http://www.amazon.com/Second-Chances-Chosen-Fantasy-Thriller-ebook/dp/B0153VNHSM/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1449771613&sr=8-6&keywords=Jeff+Altabef


Being an old fashion girl, Erynn sent me a paperback version to read. This book fills in a bit of the history and the relationship between Juliet and her father. Her father had been in prison and estranged for all of her life until part of Wind Catcher. Now Juliet is getting to know her father and finds out the truth of the past. It was interesting to read this book but it is not necessary to read if you just want the thrill of the fantasy thriller. However if you are like me and wonder more about the characters and life outside the book, this short book is for you. I loved learning more and it filled my time while I waited for the second full novel, Brink of Dawn, to come out.

http://www.amazon.com/Chosen-Brink-Young-Fantasy-Thriller-ebook/dp/B015V9CJ1M/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1449771613&sr=8-3&keywords=Jeff+Altabef

The second novel in the Chosen Trilogy begins with Juliet and Troy on the run. They left Arizona and are going to find the other Chosen Ones. Juliet is discovering more of her new talents. One of them introduces her to the three other Chosen Ones in premonitions. As they all gather in New York City in a secret location they discover one another's various new powers/talents. The fight is on to try to save the people of Earth from becoming slaves to the aliens. It is a page turner and has so much suspense as well as the every day struggles of teenagers--learning to get along and figure out life. Each Chosen One has different strengths and weaknesses and they have to figure out how to work together to beat the aliens. 

The story has many twists and turns and the character development is wonderful. I felt like I actually know the characters in person because of how well this book is written. I could not put the book down and have to admit to a few too many late nights trying to read it. (Yes, I have had my copy for less than a week and finished it a few days ago, but don't tell Steve that is why I got my cold this weekend.) The story has an ending that concludes this book but leaves you waiting for the third book which is due out in the end of 2016. I cannot wait to get my hands on this book!! 

Needless to say I love this book and love the whole series. I highly recommend it for anyone who loves fantasy thrillers!! I hope you will take time to check it out. I also would have no problem recommending this book to my very sensitive 14-year-old nephew. There is fighting, death, and some scary parts, but they are done in a very tasteful manner. It has some possible love interests and drinking as well, but again not in a throw it in your face and totally inappropriate way (perhaps since Erynn is still in high school herself).